Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

In the past, I have grown to HATE Mother's day.  My mother has everything and then more, so I stress over what to buy her.  My mother-in-law, on the other hand never uses anything I buy her.  It just sits on a shelf until the day she will REALLY need it.  So that's a waste of energy.  Then I go to church where speakers tout the many wonderful things their mothers do, then they hand you a booklet you are supposed to read that further propagates the myth of the perfect angel mother.  And I go home really depressed.  Then my husband tells me to sit there and watch my children do dinner, etc., and they are anything but thrilled by the "slave" role that has been put upon them.  Not that they don't love their mother.  They do.  And I love mine.

Happily, I have more recently learned to enjoy Mother's Day.  It has taken me years.  I have learned to not expect a thing, nor buy into the "slave" thing, to smile when people talk about their angel mothers and know that they really are, deep down, just like me.  They are not superwomen any more than I am.  But our kids love us anyway.

Yesterday, I had a wonderful surprise.  For our monthly family meeting (via Skype), our kids shared one favorite memory with us (Keith just had a birthday last week).  It was short and sweet, and except for Kiana and Sam who did not really follow the no tears rule, just a delight for their dad and I.  As we were musing later, we thought about our wonderful children, and just what OUR favorite memory with them might be.  I need to think about them a little more, but they will be forthcoming! 

Happy Mother's Day to you all!  Love, MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment