Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dad really wouldn't have killed us.

For some reason, the parents keep bringing up the fact that all these years, Dad wouldn't have killed us - even if we got bad grades, or wrecked the car, or went to hair school, or pierced our ears. Does that surprise me?? Not really. I really never thought dad would kill me. No, instead I dreaded even worse: he would be disappointed in me. It is interesting to me how Mom and Dad's opinions and beliefs were very apparent whether or not they wanted them to be. :)

After hearing what a waste it was for someone to use scholarship money to go to hair school, and the importance of good grades so I could go to college one day, I guess I just assumed that it was looked down on to go to trade school and not get a degree. Turns out, Dad wouldn't have killed me if I chose that route, but I still felt like I would've let him down in some way. He thought I could do harder things, and if he thought so, then it must have been true.

Mom and Dad didn't really make a rule about piercing ears, wearing two piece swimming suits, going to college, failing classes, and I haven't ever heard a rule that we can't wreck the cars; but I always knew what they expected. We tend to follow rules or guidelines that were never "set" because we all felt/feel the need to make Mom and Dad proud. Why is that? How do we raise our own kids so they know what is expected of them? I, for one, am glad to have some idea of what Mom and Dad expect of me. It is through those expectations that I can also feel how much they believe in me. I feel like they see a potential in me that I often can't see myself. Love you mom and dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment