Monday, April 11, 2011

Weddings...

I am a traditionalist. Through and through. It always comes out when there's a wedding coming up and I get rolled eyes when I request outdated things like; "Could you please dress UP for your announcement pictures? "Could we use Mrs. and Mrs. Keith Eddington instead of Keith and Diana?" or " I don't care if it takes days, I want to hand write every address on every envelope, whether I get help or not! (That's a lie, because I really couldn't do it myself) So, tonight we had an invitation party. Angie made brownies. Kiana, Angie, Lana and I hand wrote hundreds of addresses, Matt stuffed and Emily filed them in alphabetical order (to ensure no duplicates) We had a great time. Children running, phones ringing, people coming in and out. Wonderful bedlam!

So what IS the big deal? Why do I want things "just so" for my children's weddings? Why can I just not bring myself to use stickers? Well, you see, Matt's getting married. I have prayed and hoped and taught and loved him all his life. He was my miracle baby. The only one that didn't cause me the normal pains of childbirth. He has brought joy to my soul and laughter to our home. I will soon entrust sweet Kim to love and care for him. But I will miss him at my breakfast table. I miss you all at my table. I am so happy you are all coming home. So, what about the handwritten envelopes? I answer to that one lies deep in my heart.

MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment