Thursday, March 31, 2011

Piano Lesson Ideas

I have started keeping my laptop on my piano.  I teach about 22 students a week and have found it to be a great tool for teaching and adding variety to my lessons.  I have to be a bit choosy (especially with the naked lady paintings from the baroque era), but I have been able to use it to show students who are playing a theme from a symphony the utter majesty and power of the original work, and help them to put some of that into their simplified version.  I am doing a "unit" on baroque music and have been able to find almost every Bach, Handel, etc. piece played by a student up to tempo on Youtube (usually they are played by fabulous 5 year olds, which makes them think, if a 5-year old can play this, then certainly I can!).  They are able to experience the new and beautiful sounds made by the clavichord and harpsichord, as well as learn about the customs, culture and dress of the period.  They enjoy the change of pace and are inspired by the videos.  I saw that one teacher had even posted tutorials for her students with her playing the piece and the camera giving a birds-eye view.  If you have any other deas as to how to use the internet in teaching, please share!

I am excited for our Baroque recital.  I am going to buy some "powdered" wigs and other fancy garb for the students to wear when they perform.  I'll let you know how it all turns out.  Most of the students are pretty excited about it!

-Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment